Thursday, December 17, 2009

we're up to 4 reasons

4 ways to get out of bed, same quantity as we have seasons... and this one goes for when you're a little edgy and feeling up to the big tasks, like biting the big apple of your troubled, stubbled life-story geography.



I'm a little obsessed with this song lately. Dangerous, I know. Especially given that I've never been anywhere near the Empire State, geographically speaking that is. But get a good look at Alicia: she means it. And the JayZizzle, who's gonna stop him? They sing this like they know what it takes, what it means when the lights of the city mean love and hate at the same time and in my mind, if not in theirs, it doesn't have to be about a place I've never been, because it feels like a place we've all been.

As thirty approaches I think more and more about the things I want to do and see, the places that seem to call my name and have done for some time. I think more seriously about clearing out all the shit so I can get what I need. I think of the way they talk about the bums and brats in San Francisco, the street sounds and ghetto superstars in Oakland: talking tough, looking tougher, scrapping, running, screaming across the double decker Bay Bridge or suicide lanes of the Golden Gate and getting, getting gone.

I have big plans to see for myself, you know?
Intiendes?
This is una jovena planning to get some things done, si comprendes o no.

Or at least that is why I got out of bed today... we'll see about tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment