Saturday, October 2, 2010

more on santos

I won't say that I figured it out, and I won't say that it was just now that I had this epiphany because I didn't figure it out.
Furthermore, this is hardly an epiphany... I think its more like clarification, or maybe confession--those are often intermingled for me.
I will just say that I lit some candles tonight, just because and I suddenly thought of a way to explain another reason why I love the Santos candles:
I don't light them because I think La Virgen de Guadalupe o Angel de la Guarda will make something good happen. That smacks of superstition and I am not optimistic enough to gamble on something like that.
I light them because its part of the routine I like to go through when I'm telling myself that its time to pay extra attention to all the good things that are happening.
I guess you could say the same about any of my prayer practices: I don't pray to ask God to make good things happen; I pray that God will help me to see the good in all that God is doing all the time and to remember that, deep down, in side where my own little light keeps shining whether or not I remember to tend the flame there.

No comments:

Post a Comment