Monday, November 8, 2010

for the caretakers

Thank you

The rooster woke me this morning,
warning
the sun rise
while I laid still beneath the patchwork of memories.

Would the lambs and ducklings sleep all day
if the howl of the bantam were not fowl enough to wake them?
Oh cocky doodle-doo!
How many innocents, exhausted with a new life,
would miss this dawn and the next,
if you didn’t sound your barbaric yawp over the rooftops?

A city rain pools below:
the sounds of strangers bounce between raindrops,
their brash splashing tires screech out a counterpoint,

But the once-wild cockerel wakefully cooped inside my heart
scratched earlier than the boots against the sidewalk below
and I mistook it for a hope of my own.

1 comment:

  1. so much caught in your seeing. thank you, i felt engaged, curious and not alone with world.
    nita

    ReplyDelete