Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I don't often write love songs... usually lamentations

Probably because I am officially and often in mourning when I realize that I have to get up to go to work in the morning whenever I am painfully aware that my birds are growing--they can't help it, even now, as they sleep through the night...

There is always

((a lurch of honesty and the stench)
ketchup in your smile.
You can't wait to tell me the news:
the front page is caught in the arms
of the trees and you are learning the word for branches 
as you learn the words for miracles like orange and autumn and leave.
I am teaching you to blow kisses, to ask for help, 
to refuse forcible apology 
with grace 
as frailties burst forth and limbs fly.
You teach me to 
walk (slowly) and speak (carefully) and to be (sure)
with myself and a song. 
Today
is for you this one page 
in one book is enough;
we will feel the paper of it under our fingers 
chew on the words and then press them out, sending them out 
blowing consonant bubbles into the stillness
seven times (perfectly)
you will finish what I've begun 
and then you will curl and snore a little, mildly, like a wildly exhausted housecat and promise to 
dance when you wake and
morning milk mustaches portend 
muscular strivings to bake a cake of the sand: with ingredients you had on hand
or pry the clothing off a baby doll
and I am ever in mourning that this will not last; 
we will be lost 
to it?
in it?)
tomorrow.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment