Sunday, January 29, 2012

Better late than never

I'm so sorry this was missing among the archives at the old skinnytree.
Without further ado...


Visitation
she asks if there is anything she can
bring
I think first of the tree under her nest:
of the tiny maple,
the dwarf lemon
but most tenderly
the tall olive tree
(a mere branch leaning down across the soil
when she brought it home bowing, like a blessing
to her lover)
bring a branch from the olive tree, my dove:
my heart has been afloat too long now.
When you arrive, carry in your mouth the proof,
tell me
there are trees again
bursting from the horizon.
Tell me silently that the earth reaches out her arborized hands, and leafy fingers,
hoping to hold you up, proudly (loving your tiny toes curving around her fingers)
where you perch and play
and perform your miracles.
If there is solid ground again, a place to make a home,
I know you will tell me and you will bring a bit of it
wordlessly, weightlessly
leave leaves with me, my peace, my piece of home.

2 comments:

  1. I wish you were in Seattle to read this at the TUM Month of Sundays "Potions & Poetry" night tonight.

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Ab--
    I would like to use this poem in our evening prayer liturgy tonight. Any objections? We need these words to remember Spring is coming, or at least it's ok to hope for it.

    Peace,
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete