Wednesday, May 1, 2019

spare elipses


She has told me before
The pebbles on the shore
Are simply spare ellipses;

She learned
to read
And I realize
she has known
The knots in the planks are punctuation
For the stretched
type, face,
Of pattern in the grained boards
Beneath rough-hewn hands and calloused hopes

She has always
The understanding
That yellow tanager
Sings the report
reading the blossoms
and cotyledons
as vowels and consonants,
respectfully,
on the orchard page;

--I would have guessed
had I imagined--
She learned punctuation from the freckles
That formed
under my kisses
where her skin cautiously absorbed my sunlit hopes
That became melanized while she slept in
Wept moonlight

she sings the words
from beyond the pages of
love songs and lullabies
To herself knowing
Full/well
They are the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment