Sunday, January 10, 2010

I know you're going to check the skinnytree today

or tomorrow so I'm putting this here because I mean it and I don't think you are the only one who needs to think about it:

I know it sounded like bullshit when he said, "Its not you, its me" but what if it was him? What if you really are good, (great even!) and what if you are enough and he wasn't?

I dunno, I'm just saying... because I really like you, so its difficult for me to believe you aren't good enough. Even if you are thinking you aren't (which is fine) I'm not ...so I'll just hold onto that for you for now, and one day you'll be walking down the street and you'll think to yourself, "Hey! I am good! I've been good enough for a long time! Ha!" and you'll call me and tell me and I'll stand upon the nearest park bench or bar stool and do victory arms in the air, like a gymnast saluting the judges because you just landed the triple cheese nut twizzle half backasswards, but I won't say, "I told you so." And I won't be surprised and you won't have to feel ashamed that you didn't believe it all this time because even if you didn't let yourself, you showed me enough of yourself to let me believe it for you... which, by the way, is the way you really are and that is definitely good enough already.

And since we are all worried about being, and being good, and being good enough
and since there are lots of men in our lives who may or may not own up to their responsibilities to participate in relationships with us
don't confine the above self-esteem crisis to mix-gender love affairs: take liberties with the pronouns once again, dear reader! Imagine your father's face, if not your mothers! Imagine your last boss or even God, if you would be so bold... Let's run a few experiments, shall we and I guess we'll just see what happens... (Do let me know if you run into trouble or some kind of total depravity style theological issues--the skinnytree can handle that for you, its the least we can do after pos(t)ing such difficult questions).

No comments:

Post a Comment